Spartan King Pokie Review
The kingdom of Sparta was renowned for their fighting prowess, and their fame got a modern-day shot in the arm with the release of 300 in movie theatres. Now these brave warriors are coming to an Internet casino near you thanks to Pragmatic Play’s latest pokie, Spartan King.
If you’d like to know more about this five-reel game with 25x multipliers and wins over 7480x the initial wager, then please keep reading.
Finding the Game
Spartan King is found at any online casino offering games from Pragmatic Play. For Australian punters, I suggest any of the following: Woo Casino, Rich Casino, and Winward Casino.
Pragmatic Play rates the volatility of their pokies on a scale of one to five lightning bolts. In the case of Spartan King, it gets the highest possible rating.
So what does this mean? Well, on average, a high volatility game pays out less often. However, it also provides a better chance of hitting multiple big wins within a shorter span of time.
This type of pokie is best played by someone with plenty of patience and a decent bankroll. If you don’t fit that description, then you’re better off looking for another game.
Return to Player
Commonly known as “RTP,” the return-to-player percentage measures the average payback of a pokie. For example, a game with a 94.5% RTP would pay back $94.50 for every $100 wagered.
In the short term, deviation causes the RTP to fluctuate wildly. However, it always proves to be true when analysed over thousands of spins.
The RTP for Spartan King is 96.6%. That’s a perfectly respectable percentage for an online slot, and it’s much better than what brick-and-mortar pokies typically offer.
Range of Bets
Before you spin the reels, you’ll need to decide on your wager. Spartan King has a wide range of options to choose from, although most punters either go with the highest or lowest choice. In case you’re wondering, the minimum bet is $0.20, while the maximum is $100 per spin.
This makes the game suitable for players with a low to medium bankroll. High rollers might also give it a try, but some will find the $100 limit to be stifling.
Spartan King Pay Table
This section deals with the game’s symbols and their functions. Payouts change based on the player’s wager, and the following amounts assume a wager of $30 per spin
- Jack & Queen – Pays $3 for three matches, $15 for four, and $60 for five.
- King & Ace – Valued at $4.50 for three matches, $15 for four, and $60 for five.
- Urn – Both decorative and functional, this ancient piece of pottery pays $7.50 for three matches, $30 for four, and $75 for five.
- Sword – This killing implement pays $15 for three matches, $60 for four, and $120 for five.
- Helmet – The classic Spartan helmet is worth $15 for three matches, $75 for four, and $150 for five.
- Ship – This sailing vessel pays $30 for three matches, $90 for four, and $187.50 for five.
- Spartan – This sword-wielding citizen of Sparta is worth $30 for three matches, $112.50 for four, and $225 for five.
- Spartan King – This icon acts as a wild symbol and substitutes for all others except the Bonus. It appears on reel two through five and offers payouts of $30 for three, $150 for four, and $300 for five.
- Shield – This is the 2×2 wild, and it substitutes for everything except the Bonus. This symbol can appear randomly during both the base game and bonus round.
- Bonus – This symbol appears on all reels and pays anywhere on the screen. Three symbols pay 1x the total bet, while four are worth 5x. The highest is five symbols, which results in a payout of 20x the total bet. It also triggers the bonus round, which you can read about in the next section.
The Free Spins Feature triggers when three or more Bonus symbols appear on the reels. It can also be re-triggered by getting another set of Bonus symbols during the free spins.
The number of free spins are based on how many Bonus symbols trigger the round. For example:
- Three Bonus = 8 Spins
- Four Bonus = 10 Spins
- Five Bonus = 12 Spins
During this phase, keep an eye out for the 2×2 Wilds. If one or more turns up on the reels, and there’s a winning line, then the payout is multiplied by anywhere from 2x to 25x.
Like most games from Pragmatic Play, Spartan King makes a solid addition to your personal list of pokies. I would prefer a bonus round with a little more sizzle, but overall the game delivers some nice payouts for players with patience and a solid bankroll.
For more poker machine reviews, please see the following: