Online Roulette Tips
Online roulette has been around since the first virtual casino opened its doors. Unfortunately, it lacks the social interaction and excitement of its real-world counterpart. That being said, it’s still an enjoyable game with lots of potential for impressive payouts.
Of course, playing virtual roulette can be tough for a beginner. There are dozens of wagers to choose from, and even the playing surface can lead to lots of confusion.
To make your experience more enjoyable, I’ve put together this list of online roulette tips. Some are insightful, while others are just common sense. Either way, though, they should help you get the most out of your gaming session.
I’ve never heard of anyone making a living by playing roulette. That should tell you something.
Roulette is a game of pure chance. It can be a lot of fun, but it’s also important to be realistic about your expectations.
Know the Roulette Wheels
Online casinos commonly use two different roulette wheels. You can help your overall chances by knowing how they differ from one another.
- American Wheel – This wheel has the numbers 0 through 36, as well as a 00. The basic house edge on this game is 5.26%. This means the player will (on average) get back $94.74 for every $100. As house edges go, this is less than ideal. When possible, this version of the wheel should be avoided.
- European Wheel – This wheel has the number 0 through 36. Because there’s no 00, the house advantage drops to 2.70%. This is much more desirable, since a long-term player should recoup $97.30 for every $100 wagered. Of course, not every online casino offers this version, so pay close attention before opening an account.
Know the Odds
It’s important to be familiar with the odds for all possible betting options. For example:
- Best Odds – The roulette betting options with the best odds include odd, even, red, black, 1 to 18, and 19 to 36. Each of these has odds against winning of 1 1/18 to 1 (European) and 1 1/9 to 1 (American).
- Worst Odds – The roulette betting options with the worst odds include any individual number. Each of these has odds against winning of 36 to 1 (European) and 37 to 1 (American).
Avoid Betting Systems
A betting system dictates the player’s wager each round. The most famous is known as the “Martingale,” and it calls for the player to double their bet after each loss. The logic is that an eventual win will cover all previous losses and also generate a profit.
However, like all betting systems, the Martingale operates under a flawed premise. It works if the player possesses unlimited wealth, but otherwise the exponential growth is bound to eventually result in bankruptcy.
There’s no magic system to help you beat roulette. Just grit your teeth, pick some numbers, and let the chips fall where they may.
Understand Bonus Offers & Wager Requirements
Online casinos normally offer sign-up bonuses to get players to open an account. While this may seem like “free money,” it’s actually more complicated. In order to unlock the bonus funds, you’ll need to meet wagering requirements. In some cases, you may have to risk 30x or more the amount of the bonus. Therefore, you should always read the fine print before signing up.
Play French Rules
In addition to the type of wheel, casinos offer different rules for roulette. French rules are the most advantageous for the player, and they should be used whenever possible.
Normally, a result of 0 or 00 results in outside bets (even, odd, red, black, etc.) being lost. However, that’s not the case with French rules, and there are two possible options:
- La Partage – On a 0 or 00, the player only loses half their bet, and the rest is returned to them.
- En Prison – When 0 or 00 comes up, the player’s outside bet is rolled over to the next spin. If another 0 or 00 comes up, then the wager is lost. Otherwise, it is resolved like any other bet.
Most online casinos do not offer French rules. However, if you find one that does, it’ll definitely improve your overall odds of winning.
Give Multiplayer Roulette a Try
Roulette is a social game, so playing it by yourself isn’t nearly as much fun. Many casinos, however, offer a multiplayer version, allowing numerous punters to gather around the same virtual table. Some even include a chat feature, which provides a semblance of the social interaction offered by the original.
Find a Reputable Casino
Even if you understand all the important roulette concepts, it won’t matter if you choose a shady casino. Some will delay your payments as long as possible, while others may not pay at all. Luckily, there are numerous casino watchdog sites. Check with them before choosing an online casino.
That concludes my list of online roulette tips. Keep in mind that roulette is a risky proposition, and no amount of strategy is going to help you win consistently. Once you’ve made peace with this fact, you’ll be able to relax and just enjoy the experience. For tips on other virtual games, be sure to peruse the numerous articles residing on Australian Casino Sites.