Online Blackjack Tips
Blackjack is a casino classic that provides hours of fun, as well as a reasonable house edge. Even novice players can enjoy a moderate level of success, while those with experience should do even better. If you’re thinking of trying your luck at blackjack, be sure to employ the helpful tips found in this article.
Learn Basic Blackjack Strategy
This tip is a must for any serious blackjack player. Using it can lower the house edge to 0.5%. Without it, however, you’ll probably be playing with a 2% house edge. Which one would you prefer?
Basic strategy advises the best course of action under any circumstances. All you have to do is memorize a simple chart and watch your overall win percentage increase.
Actually, with the slower pace of online blackjack, it’s not even necessary to memorize basic strategy. Just keep a chart next to your computer, and consult it during each hand. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
Don’t Forget to Practice
As the old saying goes, “Practice makes perfect.” Well, maybe not perfect, but you get the general idea.
Before you start playing blackjack for real money, I suggest putting in lots of practice. This is an excellent way to hone your basic strategy skills. It’s also a fine time to experiment with alternate rules and wagers.
There are lots of free blackjack programs available for download. Or, you can shell out some money for a more advanced blackjack simulator. Either way, this tactic is highly recommended.
Know When to Split
Always remember to split a pair of eights or aces. However, never split face card pairs, tens, fives, or fours. In the case of other pairs, don’t split unless the dealer is showing six or less.
Never Use a Betting System
Betting systems such as the Martingale dictate the size of your wager on each hand. In theory, they’re supposed to help you end each session with a profit. Unfortunately, they just don’t work on a consistent basis. Instead of wasting your time with one of these bogus systems, spend it learning basic strategy.
Learn Proper Bankroll Management
My tips for bankroll management include the following items:
- Only wager what you can afford to lose.
- Keep a record of all your wins and losses at the blackjack table.
- Keep your blackjack funds separate from your personal funds.
- Don’t be afraid to move to a game with lower betting requirements.
- Never wager more than 5% of your bankroll on a single hand.
Pass on Insurance
Buying insurance to protect against a dealer blackjack sounds like a good idea. However, the player is actually more likely to lose money when choosing this option. Otherwise, why would the casino offer it?
Avoid Getting Smashed
When playing blackjack, you need a clear head. Unfortunately, alcohol dulls your senses and makes you sloppy. Therefore, it’s a good idea to drink moderately while engaged in a serious blackjack session. Save the Guinness for the next time you play the poker machines.
Explore Variant Games
You should always remain open to new permutations of blackjack. Here are a few that you might want to consider:
- Blackjack Switch – The player oversees two hands at the same time and may switch cards between them.
- Progressive Blackjack – This variant allows for a number of side bets. There’s also a progressive jackpot to try for.
- Face-Up 21 Blackjack – This game is also known as Double Exposure Blackjack. The dealer places both of their initial cards face up.
- Caribbean 21 Blackjack – In this variant, the ace is only worth one point.
- Match Play 21 Blackjack –The 10 cards have been removed. However, a number of bonuses help compensate for this fact.
More Blackjack Articles
If you found these blackjack tips useful, I suggest you look at our other articles on the subject:
- When to Double in Single-deck Blackjack
- High Streak Blackjack – Online Variant
- A Quick and Easy Way to Learn Blackjack