Aztec Gold: Extra Gold Pokie Review
The Aztecs are often remembered for brutality and human sacrifice. However, this online pokie from iSoftBet prefers to focus on the ancient civilization’s love of gold. Therefore, the game is appropriately titled Aztec Gold: Extra Gold.
Finding the Game
In order to try this game, you’ll need to locate an online casino that offers creations from iSoftBet. For Australian punters, some of the best options include Casino Chan, Johnny Kash, and House of Pokies.
Multiple Wager Options
This game offers eight wagering options. The lowest is $0.01, while the highest is $20. Compared to some pokies, this range is rather small. However, it should still serve as an adequate option for players with modest bankrolls.
Each spin has multiple ways to win. Wins are awarded on left to right adjacent symbols (starting on reel one). To determine the number of winning ways, multiply the number of adjacent winning symbols on each reel.
Next, multiply the winning ways by the winning symbol payout (found on the paytable). This gives you the total number of coins.
The best element of this feature is Max Megaways. This modifier triggers at random, and it causes the reels to land the maximum number of Megaways available (117,649).
At the end of a spin, when all winning combos have been determined, the cascade feature comes into effect. This causes all winning symbols to disappear and then be replaced by new symbols cascading from the top of the screen.
Montezuma’s head can appear on any spin. When this occurs, one of two things will happen. They are:
- The player receives a big win.
- The Aztec Gold Cash Respins trigger.
Aztec Gold Paytable
Below, I’ve listed the various symbols from the game, as well as their corresponding payouts. Also, keep in mind that altering your wager changes the payouts. For these examples, I’m assuming a maximum wager of $20 per spin.
Reminder: These are not final payouts. To determine that, the following number will have to be multiplied by the winning ways for the spin.
- Nine – Pays 2 for three matches, 4 for four, 6 for five, and 10 for six.
- Ten – Worth 3 for three, 5 for four, 8 for five, and 15 for six.
- Jack – Valued at 3 for three matches, 5 for four, 10 for five, and 18 for six.
- Queen – Worth 3 for three, 5 for four, 12 for five, and 20 for six.
- King – Pays 4 for three matches, 6 for four, 16 for five, and 30 for six.
- Ace – Valued at 4 for three matches, 8 for four, 16 for five, and 35 for six.
- Eagle – Pays 5 for three, 10 for four, 20 for five, and 40 for six.
- Snake – Worth 5 for three matches, 10 for four, 20 for five, and 50 for six.
- Jaguar – Valued at 10 for three matches, 30 for four, 80 for five, and 200 for six.
- Aztec Priest – Pays 10 for two matches, 50 for three, 150 for four, 400 for five, and 1000 for six.
- Mystery – Transforms into any symbol other than the wild or scatter.
- Wild – Substitutes for all symbols except the sun disc.
- Sun Disc – This is the scatter. Five or more trigger cash respins.
Sun Disc Boost
This feature can trigger during any paid spin. When it occurs, you’ll see either “20 Sun Disc Boosts” or “10 Sun Disc Boosts” written across the screen. This serves to increase the odds of triggering the Aztec Gold Cash Respins, but it isn’t guaranteed.
Aztec Gold Cash Respins
This feature triggers when the player gets five sun disc scatters. The player starts this bonus with three cash respins, and the counter resets if another scatter lands within view.
During this bonus, only sun disc symbols are visible on the reels. Each disc also has a value indicated by a multiplier. If you fill an entire reel, you’ll activate the multiplier for all scatters on that reel.
You should also keep an eye out for the top three scatters. These include:
- Mini – 30x
- Major – 100x
- Mega – 1000x
Buying the Bonus
You can purchase Aztec Gold Cash Respins instead of waiting for them to randomly appear. The price is either 100x or 150x the total bet of the initial stake. If you choose the latter, it activates max Megaways and a 7×6 grid with maximum possible scatter positions.
Extra Gold Option
You’ll find this option to the left of the reels. When you activate it, the following perks become available:
- Increases the chances for a bonus.
- The Aztec Gold Cash Respins trigger with four scatters (instead of five).
The cost for this option is an extra 25% of your original wager. For example, my original $20 wager would turn into $25.
I enjoyed the game’s graphics, which used cartoonish elements to capture all manner of Aztec history. I was also a fan of the multiple features and buy-in options. However, I wasn’t a fan of the mystery return-to-player percentage, as this made it impossible to determine the game’s payout.
If you’re a careful player who insists on knowing the RTP, you may want to skip Aztec Gold: Extra Gold. However, for those who simply enjoy online gambling, regardless of the odds, this is a good one to add to your list.
For even more poker machine reviews, please see the following: