6 Best Wizard of Oz Pokies
The Wizard of Oz debuted in movie theatres in 1939. Based on L. Frank Baum’s 1900 book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, it is regarded as one of the greatest films ever made.
Licensed products can be found in abundance, and these includes a number of Oz-themed online pokies. If you want to know the best options for gamblers, then you’ve come to the right place.
Where Can You Find These Pokies?
Pokies based on The Wizard of Oz can be found at numerous real money casinos. Aussie players have a variety of choices, but I suggest either Tangiers Casino, VIP Slots, or Joe Fortune.
5 Interesting Wizard of Oz Facts
Here are a few facts about the movie that you might not know. If you have more, be sure to leave them in the comments section.
- It is the most seen film in history, based on data released by the Library of Congress.
- The MGM art department spent nearly a week deciding the exact hue for the yellow brick road.
- Buddy Ebsen (Jed Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies) was originally cast as the Scarecrow. However, he eventually traded parts with Ray Bolger, who was initially cast as the Tin Man. Ebsen was hospitalized after a severe allergic reaction to the required makeup, forcing him to leave the production.
- Margaret Hamilton, who played the Wicked Witch, experienced multiple problems on the set. On shoot days, she was limited to a liquid diet due to the toxicity of her makeup. During filming of the Munchkinland scene, her face paint caught on fire. She suffered third-degree burns and spent three months recuperating.
- During the editing phase, the famous “Over the Rainbow” song was almost cut. Apparently, some studio executives felt it was demeaning for star Judy Garland to sing in a barnyard.
Top Slots for Wizard of Oz Fans
If you can’t get enough of Judy Garland and singing scarecrows, then I suggest playing one of these amazing pokies.
Book of Oz
This Microgaming pokie focuses on a young Wizard of Oz in a 5-reel, 10-payline format. The RTP is a decent 96.5%, and it’s one of the most volatile pokies that I’ve seen. The book symbol is both a scatter and wild, and it can award up to 25 free spins. There’s a higher chance of a re-trigger during free spins. The re-spin option allows you to pay for a do-over on a chosen reel. Available for PC and mobile gamers, Book of Oz award payouts up to 5000x the initial wager.
Wizard of Oz
This is the first of three WMS pokies on the list, and it debuted way back in 2011. It has 5 reels and 30 paylines, and 5 jackpot symbols provide a 10,000-credit payout. Some of the game’s symbols include Dorothy, a tornado, ruby slippers, Tin Man, and the Wicked Witch. Watch for Glinda, as she randomly turns reels 3 to 5 into expanding wilds. Five other bonus features are available, including the Scarecrow Field and Cowardly Lion Forest.
World of Oz
This 5-reel, 50-payline pokie from Rival Gaming is not a licensed product. However, that’s not uncommon in the world of online gambling. The maximum wager is $125 per spin. When certain symbols make winning combinations, they drop down to make room for additional icons. All wins with the wild symbol result in a 5x multiplier. You can earn up to 12 free spins at a time, and an additional 7 can be unlocked during the bonus phase. This is an ugly but potentially profitable game.
Wizard of Oz: Wicked Riches
Designed by WMS, this 5-reel, 30 payline game focuses on the Wicked Witch of the West. Reel symbols include flying owls, brooms, pointed hats, and hourglasses. The free spins bonus comes with a multiplier that pays from 2x to 10x. There are two more bonus features, and these revolve around tornados and flying monkeys. This is my favourite pokie on the list, mainly because of the darker themes.
Yellow Brick Reels
The graphics on this pokie are pretty basic, but you can wager from $0.01 to $10 on up to 25 paylines. The Wizard of Slots bonus round delivers up to 20 free spins, with the possibility of a 10x multiplier. Designed by Arrow’s Edge, the game also has a random progressive jackpot to look forward to.
The Wizard of Oz: Emerald City
This is yet another pokie from the designers at WMS, and a mobile version is also available. It’s something of a retro game, with lots of fruit icons and just three reels and nine paylines. Three Wizard of Oz logos pay a maximum of 10,000 credits. Up to seven bonus features can be triggered, featuring characters such as Glenda and the Cowardly Lion.